This Swiss roll filled with Limoncello and lemon-flavoured custard is a fresh variation of the classic jam filled Swiss roll recipe. The method is very similar: just make the sponge cake mixture and a sweet custard to fill the roll with. What makes this recipe special, is the addition of Limoncello, a sweet lemon-flavored Italian liqueur.
Ingredients for 8 portions:
For the sponge:
130g white flour
150g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
lemon slices and icing sugar to decorate
For the custard:
2 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
1. Prepare the custard first: Gently warm the milk in a saucepan. Whisk the eggs and sugar, and stir in the cornstarch. Add some warm milk to soften the mixture and continue to whisk gradually adding the rest of the milk. Add a slice of lemon peel. Place the egg and milk mixture in a saucepan and heat, stirring. When the custard starts to thicken add the lemon juice and continue to stir until thickened. Remove from the heat, set aside and allow to cool.
2. To make the sponge cake mixture, preheat oven to 220C and grease and line the base and sides of a 25 x 30cm Swiss roll pan with baking paper. Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and pale and doubled in size. Sift the flour and baking powder over the egg mixture, gently fold until combined and add the milk and vanilla extract continuing to stir gently.
3. Smooth the cake mixture onto the Swiss roll pan and bake for 6/8 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle a large sheet of baking paper with extra caster sugar. Turn the hot sponge out onto the sugared paper. Remove the baking paper. Using the paper as a guide, roll the sponge from a short end into a log. Set aside to cool completely.
4. Unroll the sponge onto a clean work surface and brush it with the Limoncello. Spread the custard over the moist sponge, leaving a 2cm boarder at the end. Roll sponge to enclose filling.
5. Place on a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar and decorated with the lemon slices to serve.